Chris Licht, the CEO of CNN, sent an all-staff memo on Wednesday, which indicated that the network was starting to lay off workers. Oliver Darcy, the network's senior media reporter, shared the memo on Twitter.
CNN boss Chris Licht informs employees in an all-staff note that layoffs are underway.
Licht says those being notified today are largely paid contributors and then tomorrow CNN "will notify impacted employees."
Licht will then provide an update to staff afterward. pic.twitter.com/nD0pt9Ruwj
— Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) November 30, 2022
In the memo, which Darcy shared on Twitter, Licht informed employees that the layoffs were happening. He said that the affected employees would be notified on Wednesday. He also noted that the majority of the people who were notified were paid contributors.
According to Licht, the layoffs are part of a strategy that will result in a smaller number of people being affected.
The memo stated that the employees who are losing their jobs will be informed through a variety of methods, such as in-person meetings or through Zoom. Those who are eligible for annual bonuses will also receive these.
Several prominent individuals have left CNN since the company's CEO took over in May. One of these is Brian Stelter, who was the host of the show Reliable Sources. Don Lemon has replaced him as the host of the network's new morning show. The prime-time show of Jake Tapper, which was also canceled due to poor ratings, was also axed earlier this month.
After failing to find an audience for its streaming service CNN+, the network ended its operations earlier this year.
Besides CNN, other networks have also made changes. For instance, CNBC let Shepard Smith go after two years of his show, The News With Shepard Smith, and it also canceled his program, The News With Shepard Smith. Tiffany Cross, who was also a part of the network's lineup, is reportedly suing the company after she was let go.